Friday, June 15, 2012

Cheesy Beefy Mac (Skillet Casserole)

I wish I had some really cool name to give this dish. Honestly, for the last twenty years my kid's have just called it "casserole." I really never needed a name for it until I started this blog. I thought of calling it something like "wacky casserole" or "crazy mac."  Because the ingredients are KINDA wacky and crazy. But you know what, they work! So I gave it a somewhat dignified name. Cheesy Beefy Mac sounds dignified, right?

This is one of the very first dishes I ever put together. And out of the respect I have for my humble beginnings, I have never changed the list of ingredients or my method. It's incredibly basic; my homemade version of Hamburger Helper, if you will. I just have to smile every time I make it. Because, of all the culinary adventures and endeavors I have had over the years, this dish, this one right here, my kid's request the most.




Ingredients:
1/2 Lb elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 Lb ground sirloin
1 sweet onion, diced
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup A1 Steak Sauce
1 can cream of mushroom soup
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese *or Colby Jack

Directions:
Cook your macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse and set aside. Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet, brown your ground sirloin and onion. (I like to use sirloin as opposed to a higher fat content beef, so that I really don't need to drain the fat. This way there's just a little bit of fat and the beef and onion can cook together without any draining and losing of flavor.) Cook until meat is crumbled and onion is soft. Add can of soup, ketchup, and steak sauce; stirring well. Cover with lid and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Taste to see if you would like to add some salt and pepper. (I usually add a dash of each.) Mix in macaroni, stirring to coat well. Top with shredded cheese. Cover with lid and let simmer on very low; just until cheese is melted and dish is gently bubbling on sides. Serve while piping hot.

LESLIE'S NOTES: If you are not a fan of canned cream soups, here is an excellent recipe to make your own. If that one doesn't seem like your thing, here is another recipe that you might find helpful. Can also substitute tomato sauce instead of ketchup.

Pin It!

16 comments:

  1. Leslie, this week's Food on Friday is all about cheese. It would be great if you linked this in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you linked in. Have a super day.

      Delete
  2. I love casseroles like this! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following. I have followed you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MM looks so good! I can't wait to try this recipe out, thanks so much for sharing at Sunday Round Up!
    -Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting! Enjoy! :)

      Delete
  4. Looks so yummy and cheesy good! Thanks for sharing on our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Hope you come back next week. -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband will love this. Looks so yummy! I would love for you to share on my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks,
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds fantastic and so easy, too! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mama makes the same thing and calls it "Messy Mac" :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family makes a similar dish, using 2 cans of condensed tomato soup and ommitting the ketchup, steak sauce, and cream soup.
    Also we use shells. And the kids simply call it seashell macaroni.
    It's pretty basic, kids love it, and it really is yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg i just made this (used tomato sauce instead of ketchup) and it is absolutely delicious!!!!! It literally takes no time to make!!! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey! Thank you so much for coming back to comment! I am happy that you liked it! Tomato sauce is an excellent substitute! I should add that to my post. Thanks again!

      Leslie -

      Delete
  10. Do you have any alternative to cream of mushroom - I am allergic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can go with cream of celery soup. I like it just the same for this dish.

      Delete
  11. Do I need to mix the cream of mushroom soup with a can of water like the can suggests? Or do I just throw it in without the can of water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the can of soup. No water. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...